Commissioned at Port Arthur on October 28, 1944, she arrived at Halifax on November 26, and sailed for Bermuda in January, 1945 to work up. Returning to Halifax, Fort Frances served briefly with escort groups W-8 and W-9 of Western Escort Force before being paid off into maintenance reserve on August 3, 1945. She was again in commission from October 23, 1945 to April 5, 1946, and in 1948 was handed over to the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys as a hydrographic survey ship. In 1958 she reverted to naval service as a civilian-manned oceanographic research vessel. She was sold for breaking-up in 1974.
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 170.