The History of the DRUMMONDVILLE
Commissioned at Montreal on October 30, 1941, she arrived at Halifax on November 11 and served at various times with WLEE Gulf Escort Force, Halifax Local Defence Force, and Sydney Force before joining Newfoundland Force in February, 1944. Following a major refit at Louisbourg, she proceeded to Bermuda in mid-August to work up, returning to St. John's early in October. The Newfoundland Force was disbanded in June, 1945, and from then until October Drummondville was employed at miscellaneous duties on the east coast. She was paid off at Halifax on October 29, 1945, and in 1946 placed in strategic reserve at Sorel. Reacquired by the RCN in 1952, she was placed in reserve at Sydney but never recommissioned, and in 1948 she was sold for conversion to a merchant ship. As SS Fort Albany she was sunk by collision near Sorel on December 8, 1963, and raised and broken up there the following year.
- Pendant: J253
- Type: Minesweeper
- Class: BANGOR Class (40-41 Regular Programme)
- Displacement: 672 tonnes
- Length: 180 ft
- Width: 28.5 ft
- Draught: 8.3 ft
- Speed: 16 kts
- Compliment: 6 Officers and 77 Crew
- Arms: 1-4" Gun, 1-3" Gun, 2-20mm
- Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal. Que.
- Keel Laid: 01-Oct-41
- Date Launched: 21-May-41
- Date Commissioned: 30-Oct-41
- Paid off: 29-Oct-45
After 1949 Recommissioned as Pendant 181.