Built at Victoria, Dawson was commissioned on October 6, 1941 and, after working up, joined Esquimalt Force for local patrol duty. On August 20, 1942, she arrived at Kodiak, Alaska, to take part in the Aleutian campaign under U.S. operational control, returning to Esquimalt November 4. She resumed her duties with Esquimalt Force until February 1943, when she again proceeded to Alaskan waters to work with U.S. naval units until the end of May. In September she commenced a major refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Vancouver, worked up following its completion January 29, 1944, and on February 14 left for Halifax. Arriving there March 25, she joined EG W-7, WEF. Early in January, 1945, she began a refit at Dartmouth, on completion of which in April she went to Bermuda to work up. The European war had ended by the time she returned, and she was paid off June 19 at Sorel. Sold for scrap, she foundered at Hamilton on March 22, 1946 but was raised and broken up.
Focsle Extended, Vancouver, BC, 29 Jan 44