HMCS ASSINIBOINE (2nd)
The History of the ASSINIBOINE (2nd)
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234) was a St. Laurent-class destroyer that served in the Royal Canadian Navy and later the Canadian Forces from 1956-1988.
She was commissioned into the RCN on 16 August 1956 and initially carried the pennant number DDE 234 as a destroyer escort. She underwent conversion to a destroyer helicopter escort (DDH) in the early 1960s and was officially reclassed with pennant DDH 234 on 28 June 1963.
In 1974, the Assiniboine was anchored in Lisbon, Portugal as part of the NATO Standing Naval Force Atlantic, with crew ashore, when the Carnation Revolution occurred. The tension and confusion of the situation saw the vessel recall her crew and leave the area.
Assiniboine was selected by the Canadian Forces for the Destroyer Life Extension (DELEX) program and completed this refit on 16 November 1979.
She was decommissioned from active service in the CF on 14 December 1988 and was used as a harbour training ship at CFB Halifax beginning in 1989.
She was sold for scrap in 1995 and sank in the Caribbean Sea while under tow.
- Pendant: 234
- Type: Destroyer Escort
- Class: St. Laurent
- Displacement: 2,263 tonnes
- Length: 366 ft
- Width: 42 ft
- Draught: 13.2 ft
- Speed: 28 kts
- Compliment: 12 Officers and 237 Crew
- Arms: 4 - 3" (2 X II), 2 - 40MM, 2 Limbo, Homing Torpedoes. After refit to DDH: 2 - 3" (1 x II), 1 Limbo, Homing Torpedoes, Helicopter
- Builder: Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel Quebec
- Keel Laid: 10-May-52
- Date Launched: 12-Feb-54
- Date Commissioned: 16-Aug-56
- Paid off: 14-Dec-88
Two major refit/reconfigurations. Re-commissioned as DDH 28 Jun 63. DELEX refit completed 1979.