Burlington was commissioned at Toronto on September 6, 1941, and arrived at Halifax on September 30. After working up, she made Halifax her base, and in March, 1942, was assigned to WLEF, transferring in May to Gulf Escort Force. Late in December she commenced refitting progressively at Halifax, Lunenburg, and Dartmouth. Following completion of the work in May, 1943, she worked up at Pictou and was assigned in June to EG W-9 of WLEF. In February, 1944, she was transferred to Halifax Local Defence Force, and in September sent to Bermuda for a month's workup. On her return she joined Newfoundland Force, based at St. John's, and served there until June 8, 1945, when the Command was disbanded. She then engaged in miscellaneous duties until paid off on October 30, 1945, and was sold to a New Jersey buyer in 1946.