The name is a contraction of North Sydney. Norsyd was commissioned at Quebec City on December 22, 1943 and, en route to Halifax, was diverted to Indiantown, N.B., for fitting-out that was not completed until mid-March. She arrived in Bermuda later that month to work up, and on her return was assigned to EG W-7, escorting local convoys, until November, 1944, when she was transferred to EG C-2, St. John's, taking her first convoy, HX.323, eastward early in December. On May 27, 1945, she began a refit at Halifax and soon after its completion, on June 25, was paid off and laid up at Sorel. She was sold into mercantile service in 1948 as Balboa, but acquired by the Israeli Navy in 1950 and reconverted to a warship. Renamed Haganah, she served until broken up in 1956.
Originally Named for North Sydney, NS. Sold and renamed SS Balboa and later named SS Haganah.