Commissioned on November 2, 1944, at Quebec City, she proceeded to the east coast and sailed from Halifax on December 18 for Bermuda to work up. She returned in mid-January 1945, and in February was assigned to EG 28, as a member of which she carried out escort and patrol duty out of Halifax until VE-Day. In May she arrived at Shelburne, escorting the surrendered U 889. In June she began a tropicalization refit at Liverpool, N.S., continuing it at Shelburne until August 20, when it was suspended. Buckingham was paid off on November 16 at Sydney and placed in reserve at Shelburne until 1946, when she was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. Reacquired by the RCN, she was converted to a Prestonian class ocean escort, 1953-54, and recommissioned for training purposes. Further modified by the addition of a helicopter landing deck aft, she carried out, October-December 1956, trials preliminary to the design of the destroyer helicopter carriers. She was paid off for the last time on March 23, 1965, and broken up the following year at La Spezia, Italy.
Recommissioned as a Prestonian Class on 25-Jun-54. Pendant Number 314. Finally Paid Off 23-Mar-65. Post-War Buckingham Pictured.