Commissioned on May 24, 1942, at Quebec City, she arrived at Halifax on June 12, having escorted Quebec-Sydney convoy QS.7 en route. Late in July, after working up at Pictou, she was assigned to WLEF and used almost exclusively as an escort to convoys between Boston and Halifax. In September Ville de Québec was allocated to Operation "Torch," arriving at Londonderry on November 10, and for the succeeding four months was employed on U.K.-Mediterranean convoys. On January 13, 1943, she sank U 224 west of Algiers. She returned to Canada in April, carried out brief repairs at Halifax, then arrived at Gaspé on May 12 to join Quebec Force, escorting Quebec-Sydney and Quebec-Labrador convoys. In September she returned to Halifax and later that month joined EG W-2, WLEF. In mid-January, 1944, she began an extensive refit at Liverpool, N.S., completing early in May, and on May 22 left for a month's workups in Bermuda. On her return she joined EG C-4 for one round trip to Londonderry, transferring in September to EG 41, Plymouth. Based at Milford Haven, she served with that group for the balance of the war, returning to Canada late in May, 1945, to be paid off on July 6 at Sorel. Sold for mercantile use in 1946, she was last noted as the Panamanian Medex and removed from Lloyd's Register in 1952.