The History of the FERGUS
HMCS Fergus was commissioned at Collingwood, Ontario on 18 Nov 1944, and was the last Corvette which was launched for the RCN.
The FERGUS saw duties as a convoy escort, working out of St. John's, Newfoundland during the Winter and Spring of 1944-45. Her travels also took her to Bermuda for work-ups and overseas to England, which is where she was located when peace was announced in May of 1945.
HMCS FERGUS was paid off at Sydney, NS on 14 Jul 1945 and later placed in reserve at Sorel, Quebec. She was later sold for civilian use and renamed Camco II. Later she was further renamed Harcourt Kent and was subsequently wrecked at Cape Pine, Nfld on 22 Nov 1949.
- Pendant: K686
- Type: Corvette
- Class: Revised FLOWER (1942-43 Program)
- Displacement: 970 tonnes
- Length: 208.3 ft
- Width: 33.1 ft
- Draught: 11 ft
- Speed: 16 kts
- Compliment: 6 Officers and 79 Crew
- Arms: 1-4" Gun, 1-2 pdr, 2-20mm, Hedgehog
- Builder: Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Collingwood. Ont.
- Keel Laid: 10-Dec-43
- Date Launched: 30-Aug-44
- Date Commissioned: 18-Nov-44
- Paid off: 14-Jul-45